Monday, November 24, 2008


Oh my freakin heck!! I LOVED this book. It was so exciting. The first few pages I thought it was going to be a real sleeper and before I know it I couldn't put it down. Really, it so rocked.
Mrs. Jeffries is the housekeeper for Inspector Witherspoon of Scotland Yard. He is a good Inspector but she and the rest of the staff are the real brains behind the Inspectors success. In this installment a much loathed theatre critic returns to London after 3 months in America to attend the opening night of a new play.

And turns up as fish food later that night in the canal.

But apparently he was actually drowned in the bathtub at his house.....

In comes inspector Witherspoon with his household staff sneaking around London solving the case under his nose. I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of this book by even describing the staff because it was so nice to get to know them during the course of the story.

I have only one warning, the theatre critic chose to participate in an alternative lifestyle. This book is very very clean. It is part of the story, but it is not graphic or inappropriate(the lifestyle is, but not the discussion of it. I would not be uncomfortable with my teenagers reading this. I might not want to have my ten year old read it, but only because they discuss a Brothel.) I hope this makes sense. It is like that you know that Elton John chooses this lifestyle and that David Whats his name is his, "roommate"

I have muddled that, I know, but unless you absolutely do not want to read about anyone that is at all different, which is fine with me, you will not be offended by this story.

There are several Mrs. Jeffries stories and I plan on checking out several of them next time I am at the library. I just looked it up and this seems to be number ten of twenty one Mrs. Jeffries books. Boy, I sure started smack in the middle, didn't I? Well, I am going to try and read the rest in order, so I will print the order here for you all, also....

The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries
The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries
Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues
Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock
Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball
Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail
Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook
Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi
Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected
Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Stage
Mrs. Jeffries Questions the Answer
Mrs. Jeffries Reveals Her Art
Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Cake
Mrs. Jeffries Rocks the boat
Mrs. Jeffries Weeds the Plot
Mrs. Jeffries Pinches the Post
Mrs. Jeffries Pleads Her Case
Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney
Mrs. Jeffries Stalks the Hunter
Mrs. Jeffries and the Silent Knight
Mrs. Jeffries Appeals the Verdict


Well, now you can read all of them in order and not make my mistake of reading them out of order. I am excited to see the characters Smythe and Betsy again, especially. They are so cute!

1 comment:

Shelli said...

Our ward has a book club, which I absolutely, positively love! One of the things that we agreed on was that sometimes things of the world like that might enter into what we were reading, but we are adults and can handle that sort of thing. As a result, we have read some amazing books and had some even more amazing discussions. We've talked about wanting to read a mystery -- maybe we'll try one of these on your list!